Born and raised in Malta, Shirley discovered a strong passion for acting in her early teens and had the good fortune to receive professional theatre training and work alongside some very inspirational theatre practitioners.
Her theatre journey started in Malta with Politeatru, followed by an intensive 3-year drama course at MTADA (Manoel Theatre Accademy for Dramatic Art) and later on obtained an acting diploma from LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art), at the United Kingdom.
She was consistently active in the Maltese theatre scene for many years and has played various roles ranging from classic to contemporary such as:
– Twelfth Night – William Shakespeare
– King Lear – William Shakespeare
– Macbeth – – William Shakespeare
– Merchant of Venice – William Shakespeare
– Two gentlemen of Verona – William Shakespeare
– The Enemy of the People – Henrik Ibsen
– The lady of the sea – Henrik Ibsen
– Hecuba, Euripides
– The Idiot King – Saviour Pirotta
– God of Carnage – Yasmina Reza
– Tartuffe – Moliére
– A touch of Spring – Samuel Taylor
– Over the wall – James Saunders, and many more.
A few productions even made it to international stages and she had the opportunity to perform in UK, Russia, Germany, Belgium, France and Italy. She has also played in various local television series and sitcoms.
Shirley was a founding member of Faces theatre group and later of Troupe 18:45 with whom she co-produced and acted in various plays such as:
– No more pickled onions – Anthony Portelli
– Best before end – Anthony Portelli
– Up Helly-Aa – Anthony Portelli
– No Exit – Jean Paul Sartre
– 9 Parts of Desire – Heather Raffo
In 2013 she moved to The Netherlands and got involved with the Amsterdam’s English theatre community with whom she played roles in:
– Mother Courage and her children – Berthold Brecht
– Love in a rainbarrel – Diane Dale Remlee
– Creativity in the time of Dictatorship – Giorgi Rossi
– Straight and narrow – Jimmie Chin
– That’s not what happened – Tamara Richards
– Calamus – Ralph Remers
SHAKESPEARE’S SISTER will be Shirley’s first experience working with THEREDBOX Projects.
Photo 1 – Twelfth Night, from William Shakespeare – photo by – Talenti
Photo 2 – King Lear, from William Shakespeare – photo by – Talenti
Photo 3 – Mother Courage, from Bertolt Brecht – photo by – Arjen Veldt
Photo 4 – owned by the actress
Photo 5 – God of Carnage, from Yasmina Reza – photo by – Alliance Française
Photo 7 – Parts of desire, from Heather Raffo – photo by – Troupe 18:45
Photo 6 – No exit, from Jean Paul Sartre – photo by – JJ Chircop